Mark’s principal area of practice is litigation, specializing in business litigation, complex commercial litigation with an emphasis on energy and construction, medical malpractice, products liability and personal injury.
Mark began his legal career at Vinson & Elkins, LLP, where he practiced for seven years with a focus on litigation and trial work. Mark left Vinson & Elkins, LLP to co-found Serpe, Jones, Andrews, Callender & Bell, PLLC.
Mark has handled lawsuits in state and federal courts located in Texas and appeals before the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. His litigation expertise has earned Mark recognition as a “Texas Rising Star” in Texas Monthly magazine and as a “Professional on the Fast Track” in H Texas magazine.
Areas of Practice
- Business Litigation
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Medical Malpractice
- Products Liability
- Personal Injury
- Represented numerous businesses in breach of contract, breach of warranty, deceptive trade practices, fraud and other business litigation claims.
- Represented large manufacturer of inner-seal siding used in home construction in numerous product liability cases; several cases settled prior to trial on terms favorable to the client and one case tried to a favorable verdict.
- Represented international engineering, procurement and construction contractor in lawsuit arising from construction work performed as part of a refinery renovation.
- Defended international tire manufacturer in Texas state and federal court in multi-district litigation comprising numerous automobile and tire product liability cases.
- Represented international pharmaceutical manufacturer in complex pharmaceutical product liability litigation; member of national liability defense team and numerous trial teams defending these cases in Texas state and federal courts.
- Defended a large independent oil and gas producer in a False Claims Act (Qui Tam) lawsuit pending in the Eastern District of Texas relating to natural gas royalties.
- Defended an international exploration and production company in an arbitration pending before the American Arbitration Association; the case settled on terms very favorable to the client prior to arbitration.
- Defended a large independent oil and gas producer from claims of breach of contract arising under a Joint Operating Agreement.
- Defended an international energy company in environmental litigation matter involving simultaneous federal criminal investigation, state civil litigation, and Congressional inquiries and hearings.
- Prosecuted a Section 1983 civil rights case on behalf of an individual and tried the case to a federal jury in the Southern District of Texas.
- Successfully briefed and argued an appeal before the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- South Texas College of Law, J.D. summa cum laude, 2001
- Editor-in-Chief, South Texas Law Review
- National Moot Court Champion
- Texas A&M University, B.S. Political Science, 1998
- State Bar of Texas, 2002
- United States District Courts for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
Memberships and Affiliations
- Super Lawyers 2011
- Texas Young Lawyers Association
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
Publications & Presentations
- Recent Developments in Products, General Liability, and Consumer Law
- Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Law Journal, Winter 2007 (co-author)
- “Contribution and Indemnity,” presented at the University of Houston Law Center, CLE, Insurance Law for Agents, Adjusters and Attorneys Who Represent Insurers, October 2002 (co-author)
- “Texas Rising Star” in class action and mass torts, Texas Monthly, 2005
- “Texas Rising Star” in energy and natural resources, Texas Monthly, 2008 and 2009
- “Professional on the Fast Track” in H Texas magazine, 2009